As part of our commitment to support our local community, the Watsonville Rotary Foundation makes grants to local non-profit organizations through its grant-making program. The monetary grants support organizations that serve local youth that work to help minimize the factors that contribute to youth violence and/or support educational attainment.
Community Grants Awarded
2018-2019 Grants Awarded
Awardees were selected through a rigorous competitive process overseen by the Rotary’s Grants Review Committee. Proposals were evaluated based upon their evaluation of addressing the Rotary’s funding priorities for the Watsonville community: 1) preventing youth/gang violence; 2) encouraging youth to stay in school; and 3) offering an array of educational and skills development opportunities to help guide students in the pursuit of happy and productive lives.
Court Appointed Special Advocates
Ceiba Public Schools Foundation
Friends of Santa Cruz Public Libraries (La Selva Summer Reading Program)
Live Like Coco Foundation
Music in May
New School Community Day School
Nourishing Generations Educational Project
O’Neill Sea Odyssey
Pajaro Valley Shelter Services
Santa Cruz Symphony Association (youth concerts)
Fairgrounds Foundation (Careers in Ag Mentorship)
Second Harvest Food Bank
Watsonville Ivy League Project
Your Future Is Our Business
2017-18 Grants Awarded
AZTECAS YOUTH SOCCER ACADEMY $1,500
Year-round soccer team for at risk-youth
COMMUNITY ACTION BOARD $ 750
Alcance’s-Xinachtli Girl Empowerment Program
DAD’s SUPPORTING FATHER INVOLVEMENT $ 750
Boys Inc. Club
DIGITAL NEST $ 500
Retreat for Youth-Led Consultancy
FAMILY SERVICES OF THE CENTRAL COAST $1,000
Survivor’s Health Center, Caring 4 Kids
Food What?! $1,500
Food for Self, Family & Community Program
HOSPICE OF SANTA CRUZ COUNTY $1,500
Children’s Grief Support Program
JACOB’S HEART CHILDREN’S CANCER SERVICES $1,500
Teen Support & Peer Mentorship
Building Capacity to Reduce Youth Violence
PAJARO VALLEY PREVENTION & STUDENT ASSISTANCE $ 750
TUPE Summer Youth Development Program
PAJARO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT $ 750
College & Career Center
TRIPS FOR KIDS $1,000
Take 100 Kids Mountain Biking
WATSONVILLE WETLANDS WATCH $1,000
Green Careers Institute
Watsonville Rotary Foundation Guidelines for Community Grants
GRANT CYCLE AND APPLICATION SCHEDULE
Grant Guidelines Released: September 1, 2019
Grant Application Due: January 31, 2020
WELCOME GRANT SEEKERS
The Watsonville Rotary Club Foundation is pleased to announce the release of its 2019-2020 Grant Guidelines for applicants interested in requesting support for programs/projects that align with Watsonville Rotary’s specific Areas of Interest. Please review these guidelines carefully before submitting a grant proposal.
We welcome questions from applicants prior to submitting an application. Please feel free to contact Kathleen King, Grants Review Committee (GRC) Chair at email@example.com or (831) 234-0062.
AREAS OF INTEREST FOR FUNDING IN FISCAL YEAR 2019-20
Watsonville Rotary Foundation awards grants to organizations whose applications are focused on the Areas of Interest below. Each of these Areas of Interest includes specific goals. Interested applicants must identify one or more areas of interest and specific goal(s) for their request.
Youth Violence Prevention: We would like to minimize the factors that contribute to youth violence by supporting programs/projects that:
- Empower youth to seek positive solutions to social problems.
- Provide safe places for children and their families.
- Increase access to mental health services for youth and their families.
- Provide pathways for students to stay in school and complete their education.
Education Outreach Support: We would like to encourage youth to increase their knowledge and their capacity to experience good quality of life by supporting programs/projects that:
- Encourage attainment of higher education goals (academic, technical & vocational).
- Teach workforce development skills.
- Provide educational pipeline programs for early development of career/professional interests.
- Teach life skills and provide tools to address specific challenges and opportunities.
- Encourage the practice of making safe and healthy lifestyle choices.
Organizations that meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- The applicant organization must be a nonprofit 501(c) (3), tax-exempt organization or a school based program in the Pajaro Valley Unified School District, or have a 501(c) (3), tax-exempt organization as a fiscal sponsor.
- The applicant organization must provide or plan to provide programs/services benefitting the residents of Watsonville (95076) including Pajaro, La Selva, Corralitos & Royal Oaks) as well as Freedom (95019) and Aromas (95004) in one of Watsonville Rotary’s Priority Focus Areas as described in these guidelines (below). The applicant organization does not need to be located in the Pajaro Valley, but the applicant organization must demonstrate that it provides or plans to provide services that directly benefit residents of the Pajaro Valley.
- The applicant organization must have a nondiscrimination policy in place.
- The applicant organization must have the demonstrated capacity to carry out the program work funded by the grant and to maintain fiscal accountability.
EXCLUSIONS/TYPES OF REQUESTS THAT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR FUNDING
In general, Watsonville Rotary does not give grants to:
- For profit organizations
- Projects that do not substantially benefit residents of the Pajaro Valley
- Projects and proposals unrelated to Rotary’s defined Areas of Interest for Funding
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Endowments, building campaigns, annual fund appeals, fundraising events or celebrations
- Commercial ventures
- Political Campaigns
FUNDS AVAILABLE AND DURATION
Watsonville Rotary Foundation grants will be awarded in June 2020 to fund projects that will take place in FY 2020-21. Grants will range from $250 to $2,000. Due to limited resources, applicants can apply for only one grant per year. Those who are awarded funding in a given year will not be eligible to apply the following year. However, they may apply again the following year.
The number of grants and the amounts awarded are tied directly to Watsonville Rotary’s fundraising efforts on an annual basis and can vary from year to year. The club’s GRC will review grant proposals in the spring of each year through an objective process designed to identify proposals that most closely align with our grant guidelines.
GRC recommendations are then forwarded to the Rotary Board of Directors for review. Approved grants are distributed in June. If your organization is approved for funding, we require that you recognize the Watsonville Rotary Club Foundation on your website, social media and/or advertising.
Watsonville Rotary will not be able to fund all requests submitted in response to this Request for proposals – only those projects that most strongly meet the identified program goals above will receive support within Rotary’s budgetary limitations.
The grant term will be one year; however, one-time and short-term projects will be considered.
TYPES OF SUPPORT
The Watsonville Rotary Foundation prefers to provide program/project support and does not generally provide capacity-building, core operating or capital grants. Exceptions may include this type of support as part of a program/project grant.
HOW TO APPLY
Eligible organizations should download and save the interactive PDF forms below using the buttons provided. The first three forms make up your grant proposal and are required for submission. The fourth (a PDF of these guidelines) is provided for your convenience.
Once downloaded, complete the required information and save your documents to your computer.
Email all three completed grant proposal forms no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, January 31, 2020 to:
Kathleen King, GRC Chair
CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT:
The GRC Chair will confirm receipt of your grant application materials by email within five business days of your submission. If you do not receive confirmation, please contact her immediately at the email or phone number above.